Monday, March 1, 2010

People Like Chopin




A lot of people really like Frederic Chopin. That makes today, his 200th birthday, a really big deal!
At 7 pm CT tonight, 99.5 fm Classical MPR will live broadcast a recital from Poland of pianist Garrick Ohlsson playing Chopin. MPR says...

"A lovely manor home in the tiny (population 65) village of Zelazowa Wola will be Mr. Ohlsson's concert stage and Chopin's very own 1848 Pleyel, his instrument for a program of polonaises, mazurkas, and the Ballade No. 3.
Straight from Poland to your living room. "

Fascinating. Tune in or listen online here...




I have to admit, I've always been as excited about Chopin as I am a nice, healthful, bland plate of brussel sprouts. His music is noble, refined, never frilly, always in good taste, but.... well, just a little boring. I recognize that he is greatly loved, I just need a little convincing. Someone convince me!



Frédéric François Chopin, b. Warsaw, Poland, March 1810– 17 October 1849



Jenny Lind, "the Swedish Nightengale" was a muse for Chopin




2 comments:

shaw said...

I generally agree; it gets a little tiresome. I do like the things he did for cello and piano, and a trio for violin, cello, and piano, however.

The professor who runs the the ensemble I'm in performed the cello works a couple of years ago here. So maybe I don't have an entirely objective view of it, but here's a link to his program notes.

http://music.unc.edu/calendars/thecalendar/cello-music-of-chopin.ics

pianissimo said...

Brussels sprouts!! Well, I have to admit that I really like Brussels sprouts, but the comparison - - !! You have got to listen to more Chopin - he is not the overwrought, in your face composer that his contemporary and admiring friend Liszt was! Try listening to his Mazurkas. I find that his melodies are transcendent and pure, and rare to find so many coming out of one person. My life is happier because of him. . .